This delicious dessert is a combination of two classic desserts, creating an irresistible treat with the perfect balance of tart and sweet flavors. I‘m here to show you how easy it is to make Lemon Meringue strawberry shortcake at home.
You‘ll learn all about the ingredients that go into making this scrumptious dessert, as well as helpful tips for ensuring your masterpiece comes out perfectly every time. So get ready for a delightful culinary experience – let’s get started!
What is a Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake?
A Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake is a dessert made with a pastry base and a meringue topping, with strawberries and whipped cream added on top. It’s usually served as a slice of cake but can also be made in the form of a tart or pie.
The lemon meringue part of this dessert is usually made from egg whites beaten with sugar, lemon juice, or zest, then baked until set. The whipped cream can be flavored with vanilla extract or other flavorings, like coconut extract, if you’re making it for the holidays instead of Easter (a popular time to serve this dessert).
Strawberries are usually sliced before being added to the shortcake itself–you could also top it with fresh raspberries or blackberries instead if you prefer those flavors more than strawberry ones!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced (halve larger berries)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
How to make Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and lemon juice over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the strawberries and cook for 3 minutes or until they’re soft but not mushy.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture until it’s incorporated.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Tips to making delicious Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake
Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert. It’s also one of the easiest desserts to make and customize, so if you’re looking for a new way to enjoy your favorite dessert, here are a few tips!
1. Add some lemon zest to the meringue topping and let it bake for a few minutes before adding the berries. This will add both texture and flavor to the topping, making it even more delicious with every bite.
2. Use fresh strawberries instead of frozen ones for optimal flavor and texture. Frozen berries can often be too mushy to use in this recipe, so if you want to make this classic dish even better, use fresh ones!
3. Try using different types of chocolate chips in the shortcake batter—milk chocolate chips will give you something creamy with subtle sweetness; dark chocolate chips will give you something rich with bold flavor; semi-sweet chocolate chips will give you something in between that’s perfect for people who love both flavors but don’t want them competing against each other on their plate (you can also use bittersweet chocolate chips if that’s what floats your boat).
How to store Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake
So, you’ve got some delicious lemon meringue strawberry shortcakes that you want to store for later.
1. Put it in the fridge! The shortcake will keep well there for a week or more.
2. Place the shortcake in an airtight container and press plastic wrap against its surface. This will keep it from drying out too much.
3. Cover the container with aluminum foil and store it in a cool place where the temperature is between 45 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit (7-10 degrees Celsius).
Health benefits of Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake
The health benefits of lemon meringue strawberry shortcakes are many.
First, it is a great source of fiber and contains only 100 calories per serving. This means that you can eat it without guilt, knowing that you are getting a nutritious snack that will not ruin your diet. It also has a low glycemic index, which means that it will not spike your blood sugar or cause weight gain.
The second benefit is that it is gluten- and dairy-free, so if you are intolerant to either of these substances, you can still enjoy this sweet treat without worrying about any adverse effects on your body.
Finally, this dessert is extremely versatile! You can make it as large or small as you like: if you want just one cake or cupcake, no problem! If you want multiple cakes or cupcakes, no problem! No matter what size you make it in advance or on the fly (and most people who make this dessert do both), there will be plenty left over for seconds (or even thirds).
Nutritional facts of Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake
- Calories: 558
- Carbohydrates: 90g
- Fat: 25g
- Protein: 12g
- Fibre: 7g
The recipe has resulted in a delicious dessert. I’ve made it before and plan to make it again. It was incredibly easy to make and could be served easily at home or taken on a picnic. It was also cheap to make (less than $15 for the ingredients for 4 servings).
Other Delicious recipes:
- Grateful dead drink recipe
- Smoked turkey wings recipe
- Buffalo wild wings street tacos recipe
- Red Robin buzz sauce recipe
Lemon meringue strawberry shortcake
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups fresh strawberries hulled and sliced (halve larger berries)
- 2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and lemon juice over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the strawberries and cook for 3 minutes or until they're soft but not mushy. Remove from heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture until it's incorporated. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.